Friday, October 31, 2008

Music makes the people...



New spot illustration for m-m-Muse. Gaining inspiration from Gary Kelley's prints of blues guitarists, I wanted to capture that intimate atmosphere that seems to swirl around musicians as they play. The art director wanted something a bit more abstract and simplified, so I erased out the shapes from a uniform charcoal field. I know an artist should always use the best materials, but I did this drawing on copier paper, which held the thin layer of charcoal exactly how I wanted it. Keeping it from blowing off the page was a challenge, but I enjoyed pushing and pulling the charcoal as if it was paint.
Go pick up a copy of this month's Cicada magazine, and you shall be mesmerized by the cover! It printed very nicely and feels good in the hands.
More musical themed pieces to come!

2 comments:

Judith Uzcategui said...

that's a very hot image of Musicians!
I'm enjoying your use of strong contrasts!it's very sophisticated an sexy! keep it up!

Kurtis said...

I thought the picture was beautiful and illustrated the story perfectly. My wife commented on it, too. Thanks!